NRG-5 will research and realize the “plug & play vision” in metering resources by realizing a novel and scalable xMEC paradigm. Beyond edge computing acceleration, NRG-5 extensions will offer a group of VNFs to facilitate distributed, scalable and trusted plug ‘n’ play functionality of hardware constrained devices. In more details, NRG-5 will research and implement:
Use Case #1
Use Case #1: Realizing decentralized, trustedlock-in free “Plug & Play vision”
• A virtual Terminals Self-Discovery (vTSD) VNF which, whenever needed, will initiate and broadcast discovery beacons and messages (such as UPnP or DLNA) to identify nearby nodes and MEC nodes.
• A virtual Self-Organizing Networks (vSON)VNF, which will realize a lightweight path selection paradigm in a multi-RAT landscape by selecting and establishing networking paths between the nodes and the edge-routers based on functional and non-functional requirements, e.g. trust metrics, expected transmission count (ETX), Expected Transmission Time (ETT) and explicit policy rules.
• A virtual Machine-Cloud-Machine (vMCM) VNF, which will provide caching services for the smart meter values on the xMEC, enabling scalable remote access and significant reduction of the device energy consumption, as the devices may remain more at sleep mode and consuming less energy.
• A virtual Mobility Management Entity (vMME) VNF, which will provide for idle mobile devices paging and tagging (e.g. safeguarding the location of EVs or mobile terminals in proximity).
• A trust-services provisioning VNF based on Blockchains Processing (vBCP), which will provide a truly distributed key management mechanism based on the blockchains15 technology. Within NRG-5, we plan to research on utilising for the first time blockchains, the technology behind bitcoins, to enable trust functions, without compromising user privacy.
• A virtual Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (vAAA) VNF, which will combine novel, low complexity cryptographic approaches implemented on the smart meter with blockchains implemented by the vBCP. As blockchains offer a truly distributed keys repository, combination with inherited physical functions may create an AAA that overcomes utilities lock-in.